Because renters with children are often driven by the desire to place their children in good quality schools, even foregoing purchasing in order to be in a desirable school district that may be beyond their price range to purchase, investors are wise to consider the quality of the local schools in the neighborhood in which they invest.
These are my favorite sources for school information in Oregon and Washington:
- Great Schools gives a numeric rating for schools on a scale of 1 – 10. The rating is based on school test results which are public records. Parents may post one review for each school their children have attended, and students can submit reviews which are approved by a moderator and posted if they meet the site’s guidelines.
- School Tree They offer listings for over 140,000 public schools, charter schools, magnet schools, private schools, and school districts. To get started, go to the homepage and click any state you wish to search from there, click on a county, then a city, then a school. This site has basic information about all the schools in Oregon. It provides data on class size, Title I, etc.
- >PSK12 This site is the provider of school performance information for K-12 public schools. It takes the public information (i.e. Oregon Department of Education) and presents it an easy to understand way using charts and graphs. It’s worth your time to explore the site.
- Private School Review You can obtain free, detailed profiles of private schools and their surrounding communities. This is a commercial site with numerous paid links.
For even more detailed information, try these sources:
Oregon Public Schools
- Oregon School Boards Association
Links to all Oregon school districts and many other education resources Read more: www.osba.org
- Oregon Department of Education
Lots of information for students, parents, and teachers including school district report cards and ratings. Read more: http://www.ode.state.or.us
Washington Public Schools
- Office of the Superintendent for Public Instruction
The state superintendent’s site has many details about the education system, as well as resources for students, parents, and teachers. Also has a section with school report cards. Read more: www.k12.wa.us
The official state government website has links to public, private, and higher education websites. Read more: http://access.wa.gov/education/index.aspx
Higher Education in NW Oregon and SW Washington:
- Public Colleges & Universities
- The Art Institute of Portland
- Oregon Health & Science University
- Oregon Institute of Technology
- Portland State University
- University of Oregon
- Washington State University-Vancouver
- Oregon State University
- University of Washington
- Private Colleges & Universities
- George Fox University-Portland Center
- Lewis & Clark College
- Linfield College-Portland Campus
- Marylhurst University
- Pacific Northwest College of Art
- Pacific University</li>
- Reed College
- University of Portland
- Warner Pacific College
- St. Martin’s College
- University of Puget Sound
- Pacific Lutheran University